The growth in video online is phenomenal to say the least. Here are some statistics from YouTube, the #1 web site for video online.
- More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month
- Over 6 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube—that’s almost an hour for every person on Earth
- 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- 80% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
- YouTube is localised in 61 countries and across 61 languages
- According to Nielsen, YouTube reaches more US adults aged 18-34 than any cable network
- Millions of subscriptions happen each day. The number of people subscribing daily is up more than 3 times since last year, and the number of daily subscriptions is up more than 4 times since last year
YouTube Partner Programme
- Created in 2007, we now have more than a million creators from over 30 countries around the world earning money from their YouTube videos
- Thousands of channels are making six figures a year
- Thousands of advertisers are using TrueView in-stream and 75% of our in-stream ads are now skippable
- We have more than a million advertisers using Google ad platforms, the majority of which are small businesses
Mobile and Devices
- Mobile makes up almost 40% of YouTube’s global watch time
- YouTube is available on hundreds of millions of devices
- Content ID scans over 400 years of video every day
- More than 5,000 partners use Content ID, including major US network broadcasters, movie studios and record labels
- We have more than 25 million reference files in our Content ID database; it’s among the most comprehensive in the world
- Content ID has generated hundreds of millions of dollars for partners
So, are you writing for video? Are you putting your writing out there on video? Did you know that YouTube includes transcripts of your narration? You can read these as the video plays by clicking on the square shaped icon to the right of ‘Add To’ on the text line below the screen. Sometimes the transcript is a bit of a laugh but you can upload an accurate transcript if you prefer. What is so valuable about the transcript is the assistance it gives to search engines to rank your clip. Keep in mind the second most popular search engine in the world, after Google, is YouTube. That is powerful stuff and I thank my friend and SEO mentor, Chris Bennetts for demonstrating how powerful this feature is.
It is also something that underlines the value of the eWriter in today’s online economy. everything needs to be written and as important as a good code writer is to get the thing cranking, the other half of the coin has an eWriter’s face on it. Rethink video, eWriters. It will be the wave of the very near, actually already here, future and you need to understand how it can help you make your living, doing what you love.